Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Vast Green Land

Yesterday as I was riding in the car to the Minnesota State Fair, I was looking out the car window into the vast green trees bordering the River in Eau Claire, WI and I came to a realization. Though part of me longs for a home far off in the green woods, like what I was gazing out at, where I could live in peace and rest without much disturbance from the world, I came to the realization that I can't settle in a place or status like that. Not here in this earth because though there would be peace, happiness, and rest--part of me would die and be lost. I was made for something else. The world is not in peace, in happiness, or in rest--therefore how can I ignore it by isolating myself from it into my own peace, happiness and rest? To do so would be selfish and not to take up the example of Christ. I am a part of this world and therefore it is my responsibility to take up the calling of stewardship and having dominion on the earth as a representative and witness of my God, as one made in His image.  To take up also the great commission. The part of me that I would lose would be the part of me that is called to stand and fight for the good in this world, the good which is Christ and his people-whether saved or not saved. Besides, I have a vast green land to look forwards to after this age when I go to be with my King or He returns. My King Jesus. Therefore until then, there is work to be done and my calling is not to live in isolation of the world and the people in it, in my own peace, happiness, and rest so that I can do whatever it is that I want to do. But it is to take up my sword and fight. For though I am not of this world, being a new creation in Christ, I am in the world just as Jesus was. And so as I stop my selfishness of living for my own gain-the peace, happiness, and rest of the world, I will fight on in the joy of the Lord knowing that my citizenship is in heaven and having the peace, happiness, and rest which only comes from walking in the path the Lord has set for me in this world.

1 comment:

  1. A good word Michael! I needed to be reminded of this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete